Are you thinking about buying a DeWalt Grass String Trimmer in the coming days? If so, then make sure to check out our brief DeWalt String Trimmer Review which will give you a much broader understanding about its capabilities and we will also outline all the pros and cons which we came across which will be important to you before you make that all important final decision.
Our review will focus on the cordless DeWalt 54V Cordless Grass trimmer as it provides a higher level of power output but we will also briefly outline 2 further DeWalt Cordless Grass trimmer options further down on this page which you should check out also in the event that the 54V option hasn’t ticked all our required boxes so to speak.
We will outline our feedback from working with these grass trimmer tools over a number of weeks and we will give you more detail about the features they have to offer plus all the pros and cons that are worth noting which we came across. In addition, we will provide a short series of FAQ’s further down on this page which hopefully can answer some of the queries that you may possibly have about DeWalt Cordless Grass trimmers.
DeWalt String Trimmer Review Content
- Part 1: Overview plus short series of FAQ’s
- Part 2: DeWalt Cordless 54V String Trimmer Review – Features, Pros and Cons
- Part 3: Alternative DeWalt Cordless Grass Trimmers x 2 to Consider
- Part 4: Conclusion plus Optional Feedback
Before you start, please be aware that price guides can only be presented at the time of this DeWalt Cordless Grass Trimmer review so please make sure to take a closer look at the price checkers provided below to ensure you have the most accurate up to date price information
Part 1: Overview plus short series of FAQ’s
|Brand:||DeWalt Grass String Trimmers|
|Models:||DCM571N XR Flexvolt Cordless (plus 2 Alternatives)|
|Power:||54V Battery (not included and needs to be bought separately)|
|Trimmer Size:||38cm cutting width|
|Lowest Price:||From £200 to £250 @ Amazon – View Today’s Price Here|
|Warranty:||2 years Duration|
Frequently Asked Questions for the DeWalt DCM571N Cordless Grass String Trimmer (10)
Q1. Does the DCM571N 54V include a shoulder strap?
A. Yes, a shoulder strap is included with the cordless DCM571N 54V model
Q2. What are the dimensions upon delivery?
A. The dimensions to take note of are 194cm by 30.5cm by 20.5 cm
Q3. Does the power for this grass trimmer come close to a petrol based grass trimmer?
A. The 54V does offer similar power levels that you would normally see in a petrol based grass trimmer
Q4. Can this battery be used on other DeWalt power tools?
A. Not all – it must be compatible with using the XR Flexvolt battery type range
Q5. How long will the battery run for and trim when fully recharged?
A. The runtime on this battery will last for 40 to 45 minutes depending on how hard you are working the tool.
Q6. Does it have the capability of changing the speed levels?
A. Yes, it includes a low or a high variable speed control which can be adjusted to suit specific trimming tasks.
Q7. What is the code of the battery if needed as a second back up second battery?
A. The code for the battery for this grass trimmer is DCB547 (not included and needs to be bought separately)
Q8. What type of line is used for this grass trimmer?
A. The DCM571N uses a 2mm twisted line which is designed for heavier duty type work.
Q9, Can the 54V battery be converted back to an 18V battery?
A. Yes, it is the only battery available on the market which is backward compatible for XR Power tools.
Q10. What speed levels does this grass trimmer from DeWalt offer?
A. The low speed setting operates from zero to 5100 RPM and the high-speed setting operates from zero to 5600 RPM
Part 2: DeWalt Cordless 54V String Trimmer Review – Features, Pros and Cons
Dewalt 54V 38cm XR Flexvolt Cordless Brushless Grass Trimmer (DCM571N)
Superior power 54V battery
Suitable for tradesmen
Ability to deal with tougher jobs
Low & high variable speeds
Battery runtime 40-45 mins
Shoulder strap included
38cm cutting wide path
Weight 5kg / 2mm twisted line
Warranty 2 years long
Battery is not included
Pros for the Dewalt 54V XR Flexvolt Cordless Brushless Grass Trimmer:
- The first thing that you will notice straight away is the premium superior power offered by this 54V grass trimmer which is certainly a whole lot more powerful that many other grass trimmers that we have tested in the past.
- Unlike many other grass trimmers that struggle with thicker taller grasses and large patches of denser thicker grasses, this grass trimmer on the other hand has no problems with it whatsoever – it rips through it all with so much ease and it nearly matches the level of power you would expect to see in a petrol based grass trimmer.
- Many other grass trimmers don’t include a shoulder strap but this grass trimmer comes with a shoulder strap included which certainly helps your arms when you need to work the tool for longer sessions when fatigue starts to set in.
- You get a decent cutting path included which is 38cm wide as many other grass trimmers tend to be only 30cm and in some cases less than 30cm in width. The wider path of 38cm makes the while job a lot quicker especially when it comes to larger grass patch areas.
- There is lot of flexibility with this trimmer as it has the rush knife and also and an adapter which allows it to be used for simple grass cutting or on heavier type duty clearing trimming work.
- Unlike many other trimmers that just have a single speed to offer, this grass trimmer is different in that you have the option to choose from a low speed and a high speed so again you get more flexibility for a range of different trimming jobs that need to get done.
- The line that is used here is wider and stronger than the average grass trimmer, it has the 3-Tooth Tri-blade brush knife, a spanner / wrench / Allen key is included and the battery will last longer also at 40 to 45 minutes on average as many lower priced trimmers will only last for 30 minutes and in many cases a lot less than 30 minutes.
Cons for the Dewalt 54V XR Flexvolt Cordless Brushless Grass Trimmer:
- The first thing that may turn you off here straight away is the much higher price tag associated to these grass trimmers but I guess you do need to pay for superior quality and superior power in some way. We have seen very good cordless grass trimmers on sale for less than £100 where this grass trimmer is usually on sale for over £200 as a bare unit tool excluding the battery so you will need to be either a serious gardener with a large garden lawn or even a tradesman to invest so heavily in a tool of this kind or brand.
- When used at the lower speed this trimmer will get you 40 to 45 minutes worktime on average but the level of the battery will deplete a lot quicker when you choose to use the higher speed or when you have more difficult jobs to complete such as damp or wet grasses.
- Even with the higher price you need to pay, the battery and charger is not included so it is only designed for people who already have a XR Flexvolt battery in stock already or people who are prepared to pay more for a battery and charger separately.
Price Guide: £200 to £250
Further images of the Dewalt DCM571N 54V XR Flexvolt Cordless Grass Trimmer are outlined below (4)
Part 3: Alternative DeWalt Cordless Grass Trimmers x 2 to Consider
If the DeWalt 54V 38cm XR Flexvolt Cordless Grass Trimmer code DCM571N hasn’t ticked all of your boxes just yet and you wish to explore further alternatives with a battery, then check out 2 further options which we recommend which are summarised as follows…
1, DeWalt 18V 33cm XR Cordless Brushless String Trimmer (DCM561PB-GB)
Key Features to Note:
Battery power level lower at 18V (XR LI-ION)
Battery is not included – Bare tool option
Variable speed trigger – 2 speed options
Weight 3kg / Brushless string trimmer
Dual line feed is 2mm diameter – Bump feed
Compatible with all XR battery packs
Price Guide: £150 to £200
2, DeWalt 18V 33cm XR Cordless String Trimmer - 2 Batteries & Charger (DCM561P2S)
Key Features to Note:
2 batteries and a charger are included
Superior 5.0Ah batteries for longer runtimes
Variable 2 speed trigger option settings
Battery power 18V x 2 5.0Ah / 33cm wide cut
Weight 4.1kg / Speed 0 to 6000 RPM
Second handle / Professional guard included
Price Guide: £300 to £350
Part 4: Conclusion plus Optional Feedback
Do we recommend it? Yes, without a shadow of a doubt but it is more geared towards larger projects or even professional tradesmen who need a trimmer without the inconvenience of cords or petrol and oil based products. It would be considered a very expensive tool for home use with a small garden as there are certainly more affordable and reliable options out there for less than £100 that can meet those needs.
However, if your garden is a large acre site or more and you need a heavy-duty tool for longer trimming sessions across the garden or even across steep banks or slopes, then this tool would be an ideal solution for you in our opinion. One thing to be careful on though is the selection of your final model and always double check battery compatibility or even if the trimming tool comes with or without the necessary batteries as sometimes product descriptions can be a little confusing!
Have you ever used a DeWalt Cordless Grass Trimmer yourself in the recent past? Did it work as expected or did you come across any problems that we should all know about?
If possible, please share your own feedback or thoughts good or bad by leaving a short comment in the comment box section provided below – so that others across the UK community can learn also!