Hello and many thanks once again for taking the time to visit and welcome to our reviewed list for the Best Cordless Grass Trimmers which is specifically completed for the UK market. We have eliminated grass trimmers that we felt are geared for industrial or professional use and focussed on the best options for home use or family use instead.
We have tested, researched and reviewed over 50 different models and we have narrowed it down and they represent various trusted brands in the sector which you should already be familiar with.
We have also avoided many of the very expensive models that would be unaffordable for the average gardener and you will find that many on this list are available for less than £100 and in some cases less than £80 when seen at the time of this review. Many models for less than £100 may be seen as great value but some of them do not include the battery and charger so please make sure to double check the information provided below for each model before you make that all important final decision.
Best Cordless Grass Trimmers – Top Picks in the UK
1, Spear & Jackson 25cm 18V Cordless Grass Trimmer (S1825CT)
18V battery & charger included
25cm cutting width / 2 spool lines
Foot pedal adjustment head
Auto line feed / Edging ability
Head can be tilted & rotated
Recharging takes 1 hour average
Battery Runtime 35 mins average
Weight 2.7kg / Warranty 3 years
Main Features Available:
- First on our list for the best cordless grass trimmers is the Spear & Jackson 25cm 18V Cordless Grass Trimmer which we found to work really well and it comes also with several positive reviews from previous users already in the UK which certainly adds more confidence if you decide on this grass trimmer
- The price here is a lot lower than expected and was less than £70 at the time of this review which can be double checked using the link provided below. One of the main attractions here also is the fact that there is a 3-year warranty provided as back-up which will protect your investment well into the future.
- It has some nice features to offer you such as the foot pedal adjustment and also the additional spare spool line which is great to get as many other grass trimmers only offer you 1 spool and getting replacement spool lines can be more difficult that you would expect.
- This is a 3 in 1 trimmer, the head can be tilted to trim hard to reach places and you only have to wait for 1 hour to have the battery fully recharged again (some batteries can take 3 hours or more). The runtime on the battery lasts as long as expected which tends to be 30 to 35 minutes depending on the level of trimming work being carried out.
- One thing that you will like also is the adjustable handle and the soft grip handle which helps to reduce hand fatigue and the shaft can also be extended to accommodate taller people if needed. Overall, this trimmer has a nice simple design, it does exactly what it needs to do without any problems and it certainly deserves serious consideration when making your own final decision.
Price Guide: £50 to £70 @ Argos UK
2, McGregor 25cm 18V Cordless Grass Trimmer (2 Batteries)
18V batteries x 2 included 2.0Ah
1 spare battery in the pack
25cm cutting width
Edging ability / Auto line feed
Rotating head can be tilted
Recharging is 1-hour avg
Battery Runtime is 30 mins x 2
Shaft can be extended
Weight 2.3kg / Warranty 2 years
Main Features Available:
- Second on our list is the reliable and trustworthy McGregor 25cm 18V Cordless Grass Trimmer which comes with 2 batteries so you can always have 1 spare battery in the background which is great when you intend to take on longer trimming jobs that will take over 30 minutes to complete.
- Having two 2.0Ah 18V batteries at such a low-price level is hard to beat in terms of value and generally this can be found on sale for less than £80/£90 which is a bargain for what you are getting and it actually performs a lot better than expected, in particular with the battery runtime, line quality and power level.
- This trimmer can be used for both fine and coarse grass but would be limited in terms of cutting brambles which would be expected as you would need to dig a lot deeper into your pockets for a grass trimmer of that capability. The head can be tilted easily, it works nicely around flower beds, patios and kerbs and as the head can be tilted, you can reach areas such as under garden furniture, under trampolines and under various other garden objects.
- The telescopic shaft here can also be adjusted to suit shorter or taller people, the line is fed out automatically and the handle comes with a soft grip which makes working the tool for longer sessions that bit easier. Although the recharging takes 3 hours, the battery runtime can operate for 25 to 30 minutes each and again you have a great warranty duration of 2 years to protect your investment.
Price Guide: £60 to £80 @ Argos UK
Read also: Our McGregor Grass Trimmer Review here
3, Worx WG163E 18V Cordless Grass Trimmer (2 Batteries)
2 batteries included 18V x 2
Both Auto & Manual feed
Soft grip handle / Edging
Adjustable shaft extendable
Head can be rotated / tilted
Flower guard as standard
Battery runtime 30 mins avg
Recharging takes 3 hours avg
Weight 2.4kg approx
Warranty 2- 3 years
Main Features Available:
- At number 3 we have the Worx 18V Cordless Grass Trimmer with 2 batteries code WG163E which again gives you back up power in the event that you need to complete longer trimming sessions that just 30 minutes. Each battery will give you 25 to 30 minutes each so you can get up to 1 hour trimming work done depending on how hard you are working the tool or the grass trimming conditions.
- Generally, you can find this trimmer on sale for less than £120 and in most cases around £100 which is good value when you consider the quality you are getting and having the second spare battery included in the overall package. Converting it from the standard trimming mode to the wheeled edging mode is simple to adjust and works well especially around flower beds and you also have the flower guard as standard along with the option of choosing between the auto line feed and the manual line feed.
- The width of this trimmer is wider than the first 2 options outlined already and can cut a width of 30cm which is 5cm wider than McGregor and Spear and Jackson already mentioned. The batteries provided are of good quality and are 20V lithium ion batteries which helps to extend the normal battery charge if left sitting idle to extended periods of time.
- Again, the shaft can be extended, there is a nice soft comfortable grip for the trimming operation and it normally takes on average 3 hours to fully recharge the batteries once again. Overall, having the option of either the auto feed or manual feed gives more flexibility, the quality of the line is quite good and it is well capable of cutting and trimming heavier grass patches or denser grasses no problem whatsoever.
- They also provide a standard 2-year warranty to protect you and a third year can be added if you register your purchase online with Worx within 28 days of purchase.
Price Guide: £80 to £120 @ Argos UK
Read also: Our Worx Grass Trimmer Review here
4, Black + Decker 18V 28cm Cordless String Grass Trimmer
Includes battery 18V & charger
Option of bare tool also
2.0Ah Lithium-Ion Battery
Power level can be adjusted
Auto feed line / Edging wheel
High torque gear system
Weight 2.6kg approx.
Warranty 2 years
Main Features Available:
- Next, we have a brand that is recognised worldwide and it’s the Black + Decker 18V 28cm Cordless String Grass Trimmer which unlike many other grass trimmers, has the added feature of a high torque gear system which allows you to increase or lower the power depending on how tough the trimming conditions are – so this is a major plus against many others outlined on this list.
- Using the lower power will extend the runtime on the battery but on the other hand, using the high power continuously will deplete the battery power a lot quicker so you are better off trying to work a happy medium for the best battery optimum lasting results.
- Here you get the Auto feed line that works as expected, the wheel edger can be used for your borders around patios and flowerbeds which give a nice tidy finish and it can cut up to 2500m linear length in one single charge.
- The 18V 2.0Ah battery and charger are included in this package but you can also go down the bare unit toll route also if you already have a compatible battery and charger in place which obviously means a lower price for you in the region of £20 to £30 on average.
- The cutting speeds work from 5500 to 7400RPM which can rip through weeds, dandelions and denser grasses, the width of the cut is 28cm wide and it comes backed with a 2-year warranty from reputable suppliers. The length of the trimming line here is 9m long and only 1 spool line is provided.
Price Guide: £80 to £120 @ Amazon UK
Read also: Our Black + Decker Grass Trimmer Review here
5, Bosch AdvancedGrassCut 36V 30cm Cordless Grass Trimmer
Lithium-Ion Battery 36V
Battery and charger included
Cutting width 30cm – Dual line
Syneon Chip for maximum battery
Energy controlled battery
Adjustable handle & shaft
Weight 2.9kg approx.
Warranty 2 – 3 years
Main Features Available:
- Next on our list and one of our all-time favourites is the Bosch AdvancedGrassCut 36V 30cm Cordless Grass Trimmer which is a lot more expensive that many others featured on this list but is well worth it for the extra features that it has to offer if you have the extra disposable income to spend.
- The battery provided here for this trimmer is a premium higher quality battery which can be recharged a whole lot quicker and the battery life will last a lot longer also which is particularly great if you have trimming jobs to do that will take over 30 to 40 minutes to complete.
- Not only does it have the superior battery, there is also the dual line feed cutting system with works off an auto feed spool line mechanism so you never need to worry about feeding of the line. It is also quite simple here to change the spool line as many others we have come across tend to be trickier than expected.
- For maximum comfort, the shaft here can be adjusted for shorter or taller people, the second auxiliary handle can also be adjusted for hand comfort and the head can be tilted or rotated for those harder to reach areas across your garden. The length of the line provided is 6m long, you get a manual to assist you with some operational tips and the battery here can also be used on a Bosch Rotak 32cm lawnmower if needed which is certainly worth noting.
- Overall, the Bosch cordless trimmer here would certainly be among our own personal favourites and we highly recommend it across the board based on our own personal experiences.
Price Guide: £200 to £250 @ Amazon UK
Read also: Our Bosch Grass Trimmer Review here
6, Flymo Contour 20V 25cm Cordless Grass Trimmer
20V Lithium-Ion Battery
25cm Cutting Width
Foot pedal and soft grip
Adjustable handle and shaft
Recharging takes 3 hours
Battery runtime 20-30 mins
Weight 3.2kg approx.
Warranty 2 years
Main Features Available:
- At number 6, we have a lower priced option which is geared towards people who are seeking the lowest possible price and it’s the Flymo Contour 20V 25cm Cordless Grass Trimmer which is not the best trimmer on this list but still is an ideal solution if you have less than £80 to spend. There are other cheaper cordless trimmers from Flymo available but this model is the one we found to perform the best in terms of cordless options under this brand.
- As you would expect, the length of the shaft here can be extended for taller people, the handle positioning can also be changed when needed and the flower guard is in place to protect your flowers and shrubs so you won’t find any problems in that respect.
- The battery power here is slightly higher at 2.5Ah which can take on average 3 hours to fully recharge again and the battery runtime you can expect is usually between 20 and 30 minutes depending on trimming conditions. In addition, you get a wheeled edging for a nice tidy finish and the battery and charger comes included with the pack.
- The line feed uses the auto spool line feed mechanism which worked fine for us and the type of line used is a 1.5mm nylon line which would be designed more so for lighter trimming work instead of heavier trimming jobs. If you have other Flymo tools such as lawnmowers, then this would be an ideal choice as the battery is interchangeable with other Flymo tools such as the EasiCut and the SabreCut Hedge trimmer.
Price Guide: £60 to £90 @ Amazon UK
Read also: Our Flymo Grass Trimmer Review here
7, Ryobi OLT1832 ONE+ 18V Cordless Grass Trimmer
Bare tool only, 25cm - 30cm wide
Battery & charger not included
Head can be rotated or tilted
Tele shaft can be extended
Auto feel spool line 1.6mm
Battery is interchangeable
Weight 3.5kg approx.
Warranty 2 to 3 years
Main Features Available:
- If you already have a Ryobi battery and charger in stock in your garage or shed, then this Ryobi ONE+ 18V Cordless Grass Trimmer code OLT1832 would be the perfect option for you as you can buy this as a bare unit tool only option. This ends up saving you money that way as you don’t need to worry about buying chargers or batteries and the bare tool option is usually found for around £70 and in some cases less than this.
- The charger and battery you need to have in stock or buy separately is the 18V ONE+ Compact Charger with a 2.5Ah battery minimum to effectively operate this tool as lowered powered batteries won’t be sufficient.
- The length of the shaft here can also be changed to suit shorter or taller people and the head can be rotated or tilted to 3 different positions for the harder to reach areas such as under benches or under trampolines. The line feed works on the auto spool line feed mechanism and the cutting width here can vary from 25cm to 30cm depending on your own requirements.
- The warranty provided here is a standard 2 years which can be extended to a third year if you register your purchase online with Ryobi UK with 28 days of purchase and you will find that this will be the perfect solution for you if you already have the necessary charger and battery already in stock. You will find also that the changeover from trimming mode to edging mode is quite easy to do without any hassle and these tools are backed with over 20 years’ experience in the sector which is always good to know before you buy.
Price Guide: £50 to £70 @ Amazon UK
Read also: Our Ryobi Grass Trimmer Review here
A brief comparison table is outlined below if any further clarity is needed for the 7 Cordless Grass trimmers already outlined in this review
|Model:||Battery / Charger:||Spool Line:||Battery:||Warranty:|
|Spear & Jackson 25cm 18V Cordless Grass Trimmer||Both Included||2 spool lines (1 spare)||Recharging 3 hours, Runtime 35 mins||3 years|
|McGregor 25cm 18V Cordless Grass Trimmer||2 batteries + charger||1 spool line only||Recharging 3 hours, Runtime 30 mins x 2||2 years|
|Worx WG163E 30cm 18V Cordless Grass Trimmer||2 batteries + charger||1 spool line only||Recharging 3 hours, Runtime 30 mins x 2||2 - 3 years|
|Black & Decker 18V 28cm Cordless Grass Trimmer||Both Included||1 spool line only||Recharging 3 hours, Runtime 25-30 mins||2 years|
|Bosch 36V 30cm AdvancedCut Trimmer||Both Included||1 spool line only||Recharging 1 hour, Runtime 35-40 mins||2 - 3 years|
|Flymo Contour20V 25cm Cordless Grass Trimmer||Both Included||1 spool line only||Recharging 3 hours, Runtime 20-30 mins||2 years|
|Ryobi ONE+ 18V 30cm Cordless Grass Trimmer||Bare tool only||1 spool line only||Recharging 1 hour, Runtime 25-30 mins||2 - 3 years|
Best Cordless Grass Trimmers – Last 2 to Consider
If you have reached this far and if the 7 options already outlined haven’t ticked all if your boxes just yet, then perhaps consider these last 2 options also which we would recommend also and all cost less than £100 at the time of this review which is great value for what you are getting
If extra power is what you are after, then feel free also to take a look at our DeWalt Grass trimmer review here which costs a good deal more than the options outlined in this review but are worth it if you are seeking a higher-grade grass trimmer for bigger trimming jobs.
Which one should you pick from this list? It depends a lot on really how much you are prepared to pay and what brands you have preference for. We probably should have included a DeWalt Cordless Grass trimmer in our list but the focus here really was for the lower priced options that are more affordable for the average home owner or gardener. If you do have a higher level of disposable income, then make sure to check out our DeWalt Grass Trimmer review here which is certainly a lot more powerful and you will certainly be investing in a much higher spec premium grass trimmer in our opinion but be prepared in advance to dig deeper into your pockets.
Feedback Request – Have your Say!
So, what about you? What are your preferences from this list? Are there any cordless models here that should be included or excluded from this list in your opinion?
If possible, please share your own opinions or feedback on this list by leaving a short comment in the comment box section provided below – so that others across the UK community can learn also!
Hello, I just wanted to say a quick thanks for compiling this list together as we are planning for next Spring already. I reckon I will buy the Worx wg163e as it comes with an extra battery or the Spear & Jackson as that one comes with an additional spool – they would be my preferred 2 options based on this list anyway but cheers for helping us narrow down our selection
You are more than welcome and many thanks for taking the time to stop by and leave your feedback. Best of luck to you also with your selected model for next Spring! Regards, Steve