Are you considering buying a Spear & Jackson Hedge Trimmer to take care of your overgrown hedges in the coming days? If so, then please make sure to check out our Spear Jackson Hedge Trimmer review which will focus on the corded electric options that range from 45cm to 66cm in length as they tend to have the lowest price range in this category under this brand. In addition to the lower priced corded electric Hedge trimmers, Spear and Jackson also carry a wide range of other hedge trimmers such as cordless hedge trimmers, Petrol operated hedge trimmers and also Cordless Pole hedge trimmers to help reach higher and larger type hedges so they offer a great variety of hedge trimmers for you to choose from.
As a result, you are not limited to just one type or just one model of Hedge trimmer under this brand which is always a good thing as they offer lots of options be it fuel based, cordless battery based or the lower priced corded electric options as well as the longer reach pole electric cordless model which also has proven to be very popular among the UK public for reaching higher type hedges.
Our Spear & Jackson Hedge Trimmer review as mentioned earlier will focus on the lower priced corded electric Hedge trimmers and we will outline all the key features that you need to be aware of along with most of the pros and cons that we came across that are outlined further down on this page. For your added benefit, we will also outline some frequently asked questions about the Spear & Jackson hedge trimmers which hopefully will answer some of the queries that you may possibly have.
Spear & Jackson Hedge Trimmer Review Content:
- Section 1: Overview plus FAQ’s
- Section 2: Spear & Jackson 45cm Hedge Trimmer Review – Features / Pros / Cons
- Section 3: Alternative Corded Spear & Jackson Hedge Trimmer x 2 (plus Comparisons)
- Section 4: Overview of Cordless and Petrol Hedge Trimmers Options
- Section 5: Conclusion & Feedback Submission
Section 1: Overview plus FAQ’s
|Brand / Model:||Spear & Jackson Hedge Trimmer 450W|
|Power:||450-Watt Hedge Trimmer|
|Warranty:||3 years duration|
|Price Level:||£35 to £50 @ Argos UK – Check Todays Updated Price Here|
FAQ’s for the Spear & Jackson Hedge Trimmers:
Q. What is the length of the power cord?
A. The length of the power cord is 10m only so you may need to look at extension cords also.
Q. What level of branch thickness can the S4545EH cut through?
A. The max branch thickness that the S4545EH can cut through is 16mm
Q. Do they include blade covers when not in use?
A. No, these hedge trimmers do not come with blade covers when not in use
Q. What is the maximum length of the blade in the corded hedge cutter category?
A. The maximum length of blade that they stock in a corded hedge trimmer is a 66cm blade length.
Q. How long are the blades on the cordless versions?
A. The length of the blades for the standard Spear and Jackson cordless hedge trimmers is 51cm
Q. Can you get additional batteries for the cordless hedge trimmers?
A. Yes, batteries can be bought separately or you can choose a specific model that offers 2 batteries in the same pack (outlined further below)
Q. How long does it take to recharge the batteries for the cordless hedge trimmers?
A. It takes approx. 1 hour long to full recharge the batteries.
Q. Are the battery chargers included?
A. Yes, the packs include the battery chargers in the box
Q. How long will the batteries last for?
A. Once fully charged, these batteries will operate for 30 to 35 minutes run time on average.
Q. How long is the pole cordless hedge trimmer model from Spear and Jackson?
A. The long pole cordless hedge trimmer can be extended from 1.9m to 2.35m in length for harder to reach hedges.
Q, What width of branches can this petrol hedge trimmer cut through?
A. The petrol version from Spear and Jackson can cut branches up to 2.8cm in thickness.
Q. What fuel do you use for the petrol hedge trimmer?
A. You need to use both unleaded petrol and engine oil such as 60ml of SAE10W 30 engine oil.
Section 2: Spear & Jackson 45cm Hedge Trimmer Review – Features / Pros / Cons
Spear & Jackson 45cm Corded Hedge Trimmer
Main Features to Note:
Model number S4545EH
Power level of 450W
Blade Length is 45cm
270 degree rotations
Multi position handle
Dual action blades – Cleaner cut
16mm tooth gap for branch width
Weight 3.6kg / Cable 10m long
Warranty is 3 years duration
Price Guide: £35 to £50 @ Argos
Pros to Note (6)
- This model under the Spear and Jackson brand is certainly one of the best prices we have come across and is generally available for less than £50 which is a bargain for the quality you are getting.
- You can get 3 further additional years of accidental repair cover for less than £10 extra which can add 3 further years of peace of mind at such a low extra cost.
- The length of the warranty of 3 years is superb and rarely beaten in this sector – to date we haven’t seen any other brands offer a warranty as long as this.
- Stock availability is generally very good from Argos who also offer good customer service and a fast and efficient delivery service.
- The weight of this hedge trimmer is less than 4kg so it is an ideal lightweight tool which allows you to work it for longer without arm fatigue setting in. The lightness of this tool is a serious advantage and makes the chore of cutting hedges a lot more achievable and enjoyable.
- You get the laser cut blades, the hand guard and safety guard as standard which provide a great level of protection along with the blade tip protector feature.
Cons to Note (6)
- This hedge trimmer doesn’t have the capability to deal with large hedges as it can only be used for small or medium sized hedges
- The cable length is just 10m in length so you may need to invest in extension cords also which will be an added expense.
- There are no blade covers included when not in use as is seen available from various other premium brands
- Works well for lighter duty jobs but too lightweight and small to deal with bigger heavier-duty jobs with heavier and thicker branches.
- Even though the tooth gap is 16mm, you may find the blade at times works much better with branches with a max thickness of 1cm or 1.2cm
- You always need to be careful when you have cords lying around and make sure it is clear of any obstacles to avoid any accidents such as cutting through the cord.
Further images of the Spear & Jackson 45cm Corded Hedge Trimmer are outlined below (5)
Section 3: Alternative Corded Spear & Jackson Hedge Trimmers
If you are still undecided about the lower priced Spear & Jackson 45cm Corded Hedge Trimmer, then check out 2 further options under the Spear and Jackson brand outlined as follows:
1, Spear & Jackson 51cm 550W Corded Hedge Trimmer
Main Features to Note:
Model number S5551EH with 550W
Longer blade length of 51cm
For medium and larger type hedges
Tooth gap for branches is 20mm wide
270 degree rotation handle / Cord 10m
Weight is less than 4kg / Dual blade action
Safety hand guards / Blade protector tip
Soft Grip handle / Warranty is 3 years also
Price Guide: £50 to £70 @ Argos
2, Spear & Jackson 66cm 600W Corded Hedge Trimmer
Main Features to Note:
Model number S6066EH with 600W
Most powerful corded model
Longer blade length again of 66cm
Designed for larger type hedges
Tooth gap for branches is 24mm wide
Cord 10m long / 270 degree handle
Weight is less than 5kg / Dual blades
Soft Grip handle / Warranty of 3 years
Price Guide: £50 to £70 @ Argos
A short comparison table is outlined below for the 3 corded Hedge trimmers under the Spear and Jackson brand to add further clarity…
|Feature:||Spear & Jackson 45cm||Spear & Jackson 51cm||Spear & Jackson 66cm|
|Branch Width:||Max 16mm thick||Max 20mm thick||Max 24mm thick|
|Cable:||10m long||10m long||10m long|
|Warranty:||3 years long||3 years long||3 years long|
Section 4: Overview of Cordless and Petrol Hedge Trimmers
If you wish to avoid the hassle of cords or extension cords for that matter when dealing with your hedge trimming, there are also further options to choose from under this Spear and Jackson brand be it cordless hedge trimmers or a petrol hedge trimmer outlined as follows...
- Spear & Jackson 45cm Cordless 18V Hedge trimmer: Price level tends to be around £50 to £70
- Spear & Jackson 51cm Cordless 18V Hedge trimmer: Price level tends to be around £60 to £80
- Spear & Jackson 51cm Cordless 18V Hedge trimmer with 2 batteries: Price level tends to be around £70 to £90
- Spear & Jackson Long Pole Cordless 18V Hedge trimmer: Price level tends to be around £80 to £120
- Spear & Jackson 55cm 26cc Petrol Hedge trimmer: Price level tends to be around £80 to £120 also
Section 5: Conclusion & Feedback Submission
While the smaller Spear and Jackson 45cm hedge trimmer doesn’t have the ability to deal with bigger thicker branches beyond 16mm, it is still a fantastic tool to have for smaller jobs as it is lightweight, cuts really well and very easy to use as the weight is less than 4kg. There are no petrol fumes or battery recharging to worry about and you get consistent power from the cord and the price level for less than £50 is a great buy and bargain for the quality of the tool you are getting – it does exactly as it states on the box. Great value for money overall and we would highly recommend it for smaller bushes or hedges that need to be trimmed down and tidied up.
On a personal point of view, the model we would most likely stock from this range would be the wider 66cm blade length model with 600W as it does offer superior power and the capability to cut wider branches of up to 2.4cm in width and of course it is also backed with the 3 year warranty.
Have you ever tried a Spear and Jackson Hedge Trimmer yourself in the recent past? Did it cut the hedges and operate as expected or did you experience any problems that we should know about?
If possible, please share your own experiences or feedback (good or bad) with the wider UK community by leaving a short comment in the comment box section provided below – So that others across the UK community can learn also!